Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Internet Work At Home Scams-Little toads in a big pond


Could be an online advertisement for an e-book on the subject to avoid Internet work at home scams started asking me about how dangerous working at home on the Internet. I stumbled across ad by accident. I have to confess that was doing just what I advise all other non-allowing me to get sidetracked in the middle of doing some work rather than make a bookmark and returning later!.

An announcement saying something along the lines of "secret tips to prevent scammers" caught my eye.Forget all about the fate of feline nosey, clicked the ad and started reading what turned out to be a long sales letter for an e-book for download on the subject to avoid Internet work at home scams. That was a fatal error, because there's no stopping halfway through me: if I want the product or not, I just have to read to the end.

The discovery that the author was asking just short of $ 25 for an e-book about Internet scams, made me wonder if this could be a scam. You'll see it all the time on the Internet: people offer to sell you e-books containing "secrets", but when you download the book that you find it full of tips that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain cell and information that you could pick up online for free. Would this be just another case of a promise to sell secrets that prove to be no more than a collection of free information, much of which is absolutely obvious?I'll never know unless someone tells me because I have no intention of paying to download this e-book simply to satisfy one's curiosity. If not recognize most types of Internet scam after being online for more than two years ... In fact, I'd still be here if I couldn't recognize them until now.

How to avoid Internet scams is a lesson I learned without the benefit of an e-book telling me how to do it.Most of the lesson was easy and came free as one of the advantages of being a compulsive reader: this involved tons of free articles read.If you type "Internet scams" into a search engine, you will find hours of fascinating reading.

Another part of the lesson came through purchase in some scam programs (you know, the old too good to be true syndrome) and realizing the resources to avoid when considering future programs. This part was not free (ouch!), but these were errors of the first days and although they look foolish, now, is easy to understand as they happened. I suppose experience qualifies me to become the author of my e-book "scams, how to avoid Internet work at home", but does the world need another book on the subject to avoid work at home scams? How big is the problem of work at home scams?

The values I found were pretty amazing: in 2005, fraud complaints received by the FTC were divided as follows:

1. identity theft-37%

2. Internet Auctions-12%

3. offers of money abroad-8%

4. Shop-at-Home/Catalog sales-8%

5. Prizes/Sweepstakes and Lotteries-7%

6. Internet services and Computer complaints-5%

7. Credit protection – 2% and pre-rate of loans

8. Business Opportunities and work-at-Home plans-2%

9. phone Services-2%

10. Other-17%

The numbers do not distinguish between Internet work at home scams and offline, work at home scams, but it is probably a safe bet that most of that 2% of complaints concern the Internet-based work at home scams.

Seeing the work at home scams put into perspective makes working on the Internet seems much less dangerous. less dangerous that is beyond the fact that working at home on the Internet will inevitably lead us in situations where we could become prey to thieves and are plummeting real in our pool. identity theft is much more frightening than Internet scams, work from home if you're mistaken will probably cost you very little unless you're very unlucky. sometimes loss won't even be financially, will involve time waster. If, however, become victim of identity theft, you could find themselves penniless and in prison, even though you're completely innocent of any crime.

No, I don't think I would pay for a book on the theme of work at home scams but a book about identity theft? now that is a different story.

Copyright 2006 Elaine Currie







No comments:

Post a Comment